Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Forbidden Cookie

I seriously love desserts decorated with dragees.  I love dragees nibbled by themselves.  And I loved them before I knew they were called dragees.  Before that I thought of the little balls of sugar coated in silver as cake BBs. ;)

I love them even more since I learned makers will not ship dragees to California.  Now my cookies decorated with dragees take on the air of that most delicious of ingredients....the forbidden!

As with apparently any metal used in food such as gold or silver, there are tiny trace amounts of other elements toxic to humans in large quantities.  In 49 states and the rest of the world, people take the obvious solution of not downing quarts of gold leaf or silver dragees.  But America being America and California being California, someone in California sued.  I'm not exactly sure of the outcome of the lawsuit, but to be safe dragee makers ship to all 50 states -minus one. Yep.  Dragees are not illegal in California, but if a baker wants to make her/his cupcakes golden in the Golden State, he/she will need to have the dragees shipped across the state line and go pick them up.

Silver dragees make beautiful cookies.  Here are some tips though:

a. Order online.  Dragees are hard to find in many places and often are $12 or more for a small plastic bottle.  Online you can find more sizes, both gold and silver dragees, and cheaper prices.  I tend to order mine from Golda's Kitchen.

b. If you are using the tiny dragees, be aware they often melt in the oven over 8-10 minutes at 350 F.  The resulting pattern can be used in artistic ways but usually does not make for a pretty Christmas cookie. Instead, use larger dragees when baking them.

c. Or, you can use the tiny dragees or any dragee to decorate Christmas cookies after baking.  I use two methods:
I make a Linzer cookie, coat the bottom cookie with a bit of icing, place the second cookie on top of the bottom one, and then fill the hole with tiny dragees.  These cookies tend to look really fancy and rather fit for a wedding.
The second method I use is to put dabs of white icing on a cookie.  Then on each bit of icing press a silver dragee on top.  The results really are spectacular -really- and also double as a nice cookie for anyone into leather studs or Metallica. ;) 
Finally, I thought I'd reminisce a bit about one of the most elegant Christmas desserts I have ever seen.  In 2011 I used a bunch of frequent flier miles to go to Vienna, Austria, before Christmas.  At the Demel Bakery they made merengues coated with silver dragees.  Frankly, they were a little too crunchy to eat comfortably, but they were gorgeous.

DIETS:
Diabetic:  no
Gluten Free:  no
Nightshade Family Free:  yes
Paleo:  no
SugarBusters:  no
Sugar Free:  no
Vegan:  no
Vegetarian:  yes
Wheat Free:  no
200 Calories or Under:  no

Notice:  Be sure to check with your doctor and nutritionist about the safety of any eating plan for you.  Also, check ingredients as different brands and products may have different ingredients or have changed them since this post.  Some calories are estimates based on packaging.  

No comments:

Post a Comment