Friday, May 30, 2014

Easy Bruschetta


Bruschetta is one of my favorite dishes. It is a quintessential Italian appetizer made from bread and ripe, juicy tomatoes. The quality of your bruschetta really depends on the quality of the tomatoes.  Here is a simple version my friend Barbara Falkenhagen taught me long ago. 

• toast some bread slices
• while the bread is warm, spread a nice layer of butter on the slices and let the butter melt and soak in
• dice some tomatoes
• add some salt and pepper to the tomatoes
• put the tomatoes on the warm, buttery bread and enjoy!

Options:  You can also add some chopped rosemary, basil, or other herbs to the tomatoes. I've also seen bruschetta in Italy made with diced olives. In Italy sometimes a thin layer of pesto is applied on top of buttered bread before adding tomatoes. And I've also seen bruschetta made using olive oil rather than butter. Experiment and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment